We wish someone had given us these hints years ago! They are equally applicable whether you are going on a short (one day) or long (3-30 days) meditation or mindfulness retreat.
A retreat can be like a marathon for the mind. It requires the right equipment, the right mindset, and preparation in advance. If it’s your first retreat experience, good for you!
5 things you should do to prepare for a meditation retreat
- MEDITATION CUSHIONS – you can just show up and use whatever is there, but we suggest you get your own gear and get used to it well in advance (it’s typically the last thing people think about)
- REST – plan on getting lots of rest the week before. You’re going to be up earlier and to bed later on residential retreats.
- SOCIAL MEDIA – shut down a few days before if you can. Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Snapchat, Tinder, etc withdrawal can be brutal.
- MOVIES, BOOKS – perhaps binge-watching Hannibal or Madame Secretary is not the best prep for a retreat. Ditto for books that you just can’t put down. If you’re going on retreat to clear your mind, get a headstart.
- PACKING LIST – we’ll provide more details about this in the next few articles.
© North Meditation Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website or its content may be used without the express permission of North Meditation Inc.